Media releases and enquiries
Media releases / publications
- Matter of Dawson, Statement from Lloyd Babb SC, Director of Public Prosecutions, 7 August 2018
- Agreement between NSW Police Force and Office of the DPP (NSW) – content and service of early appropriate guilty plea brief and charge certification, 27 April 2018
- Joint statement by Australia's Directors or Public Prosecutions, 15 December 2017
- Statement from Lloyd Babb SC, Director of Public Prosecutions, 15 December 2017
- R V Attwater and Maris, Statement from Lloyd Babb SC, Director of Public Prosecutions, 8 December 2017
- Matter of Attwater and Maris – Death of Lynette Daley, Statement from Lloyd Babb SC, Director of Public Prosecutions, 22 June 2016
- Review of the decision not to prosecute following the death of Lynette Daley, Statement from Lloyd Babb SC, Director of Public Prosecutions, 11 May 2016
- Decision in the matter of Brookes, Statement from the DPP, 6 December 2013
- Matter of Loveridge, Statement from Lloyd Babb SC, Director of Public Prosecutions, 14 November 2013
- Prosecution of Lloyd Patrick Rayney, Statement from Lloyd Babb SC, Director of Public Prosecutions, 18 October 2013
- Decision from the Director of Public Prosecutions in the matter of R v B, Media release, 17 July 2013
- R v Philip Cameron, Statement from Lloyd Babb SC, Director of Public Prosecutions, 11 December 2012
- Rayney matter, Media release, 22 November 2012
- No proceedings in the death of Elijah Holcombe, Media release, 29 August 2012
- Appeal in sentence in Doyle matter, Media release, 4 September 2012
- Gilham matter, Media release, 27 July 2012
- Matter of Scott Allan Orrock, Media release, 27 April 2012
- Gordon Wood, Media release, 16 March 2012
- Paul Peters charged in Local Court, Media release, 24 September 2011
- Keli Lane, Media release, 6 April 2011
- Matter of Gilham, Media statement, 6 March 2010
- Appointment, Craig Hyland, Announcement from the Director of Public Prosecutions, Nicholas Cowdery AM QC, 3 February 2009
- Brimble matter, Media release, 11 September 2008
- Crown Prosecutor Alex Clout, Media release, 29 April 2008
- Hit run charges withdrawn, Media release, 8 January 2008
- Dr Patrick Power SC, Media release, 25 January 2007
- Review of cases conducted by Deputy Senior Crown Prosecutor Dr Patrick Power SC, Media release, 12 December 2006
- Acting Deputy Director of Public Prosecutions appointed, Media release, 6 November 2006
- Prosecution of Major General Sitiveni Rabuka in Fiji, Media release, 3 November 2006
- Darling Harbour sexual assault matter, Statement from the Director or Public Prosecutions, 19 October 2006
Transcripts are the property of the court and media need to contact the court directly to access them.
The presiding judge or magistrate will sometimes make specific evidence available to the media, upon application by journalists to the court. This material will only be made available if:
• there is no objection from the Crown or defence
• the material has been seen by a jury
• the material does not impact
– any other case currently before the court and
– the victim or their family, in the case of an assault or homicide.
No. We do not dispense legal advice. Media outlets must check their stories themselves, with in-house or external counsel.
We can, however, advise you of any non-publication orders, or other court orders that may impact on the way you report a story.
No. The ODPP issues media releases in very limited circumstances only and does not otherwise comment about specific matters, even if they have been resolved.
The ODPP can provide details including dates, times, courts and names of accused (if there are no non-publication orders in place).
Yes. Court proceedings are open to the public and the media unless the judge or magistrate rule a matter is to be heard in a closed court. The court is closed only in matters of particular sensitivity, and in involving children.