A person who has been found guilty of a crime can appeal against their conviction and / or against their sentence if they believe it is too harsh.

The ODPP can appeal against a sentence if we believe it is too light but we can’t appeal against a not guilty verdict.

Victims and other witnesses don’t have a right to appeal. This is because you were not a legal party in the court proceedings, even though you played a key role.

Appeals from the District or Supreme Court are heard in the Court of Criminal Appeal, which is the highest criminal court in NSW. Appeals from the Local Court are heard in the District Court.


Appeals to the Court of Criminal Appeal

Process map of CCA appeals


Appeals to the District Court

Process map of appeals to the District Court