Breach of Victims Charter of Rights

If you have a complaint about the way the ODPP has handled your case or you feel your rights have not been observed:

Talk to: The ODPP solicitor in charge of your case or the Witness Assistance Officer

If you are still not satisfied, then you can:

Complete the Charter of Victims Rights Complaint Form which is available on the Victims Services website at or ring the Victims Access Line on 1800 633 063 or (02) 8688 5511 (Sydney Metro).